Unique opportunity to run the well-groomed, treelined dirt trails of California State Folsom Prison property
The Folsom Prison Trail Run Series (FPTRS) has announced the return of its events for 2015.
The FPTRS is an 8-week, points-based series designed to encourage friendly competition and the enjoyment of trail running and racing. The eight races will run on Thursday evenings, May 7 through June 25, 2015 from Folsom City Lions Park.
The course distance is 5k (actually closer to 3.6 miles) with approximately 275 feet of climbing. Enjoy the friendly, grassroots atmosphere and the fun, well-groomed, treelined dirt trails on the California State Folsom Prison property, where the only opportunity you can run them is in an organized race such as this. The course has plenty of singletrack, fire breaks, abandoned flume, three creek crossings over bridges, and some moderately technical single track … all through very beautiful oak woodlands.
Race organizer Diane Cressey Hanes of Breakout Fitness says, “We are very excited to bring back the trail racing series! Our mission and passion is to provide a fun environment with short distance trail racing to help ease new runners into the trail running and racing world and give experienced and advanced runners a way to challenge themselves.”
Not a runner? You can still enjoy the series – here are some ideas from Sacramento Cyclocross founder Clint Claassen:
- Consider it training for Cyclocross! #cross365
- Ride your bike there, run, then jump in the river and call it a tri.
- Volunteer and earn a race entry for someone that IS a runner.
- Bring friends from work, make a team for the team competition and score points with your boss for “team building.”
- Eight Races Dates – Thursday evenings, May 7 through June 25, 2015.
- Start time – 6:30pm
- Chip Timing
- Weekly Raffle – Registered participants may enter into the raffle each week just prior to race start.
- Series Awards – Thursday, June 25th, immediately following the race. Accumulate Series Points at each race for the Series awards. Male and Female Age Groups: 0-12, 13-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60 & over.
- Distance – 5K (actually closer to 3.6 miles) Every other week the course will reverse direction.
- Races held rain or shine
- Teams and Clubs – When you register, indicate your team or club affiliation. Teams and clubs will have the opportunity to compete by combining their individual points for team points.
- Team Competition – The Team/Club Competition starts on June 4th. See Team Competition page for details.
The series’ success relies on help from volunteers. As a volunteer, you may earn race credit for yourself, a significant other or family member.
Visit www.breakoutracing.com for more information and to register.