Fire up this 4th of July for the 32d annual Santa Cruz Firecracker 10K, 5K, kids 1K race
Hosted by the Santa Cruz Sunrise Rotary Club, the 32nd annual Santa Cruz Firecracker will take place on Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at Harvey West Park in Santa Cruz. The Firecracker 10K course is re-certified, and the flat, fast 5K course is newly certified this year. This course is great for runners, walkers of all ages, and also for spectators. As always, the little kids (10 and under) can join in an exciting 1K fun run that starts 30 minutes before the main event, just outside the back of Costco, on Harvey West Boulevard. Pancake Breakfast (included in entry fee) with finish line party and awards ceremony with medals to the top three runners in 5-year age groups.
This year’s featured beneficiaries are Teen Kitchen Project and the Red Cross of the Central Coast.
Race Start Times
7:00am – Registration opens
8:00am – Kid’s 1K run/walk
8:30am – Firecracker 10K run
8:40am – Firecracker 5K run
Race Day Schedule
Pre-registered runners check-in, and race day registration from 6:30 – 7:45am (for 1K), 6:30 – 8:00am (5K/10K) at Harvey West Park, 326 Evergreen Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. Race day registration runners pick up Bib Numbers at Registration on July 4th. Kids’ 1K run at 8:00 AM, 10K starts at 8:30am and 5K starts at 8:40am. 10K/5K/1K awards commencing at 9:45am – 10:00am.
Free parking available at Costco (via the Sylvania Avenue entrance) and along Sylvania Avenue. Enter Harvey West Park via Encinal @ Hwy 9 and then turn left on Sylvania and park on Sylvania or in the Costco parking lot via the Sylvania Avenue entrance. Costco is closed on July 4th, so there is plenty of parking at Costco. But arrive early to avoid the race-day rush and leave time for the short walk/jog to the registration tables near the Harvey West pool.
Brought to you by Santa Cruz Pop Warner at the Harvey West Clubhouse, 7:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Fuel up for the Firecracker 5K & 10K or just join the fun at this traditional Pancake Breakfast, included with your race entry. Breakfast features flapjacks along with eggs, sausage, coffee, juice, and Schoolhouse Chai.
Awards & Prizes
Awards to top 3 in each 5-year age group. Merchandise prizes and name engraved on Champions Cup for overall male and female open winners and age-graded winners of 5K and 10K. Aptos Fleet Feet shoe certificates to top male and female age-graded winner + 13-18 age group winner. Blue ribbons to all 1K finishers and medals to top 3 male and female kids 10 and under in Kids’ 1K.
- Gold, Silver and Bronze medals for 1st thru 3rd place in each 5-year category
- Merchandise prizes and Champions Cup Engraving for overall winners in the 10K and 5K (M&F and age graded M&F)
- Shoes awarded to the overall age-graded winners, and first high school (18 and under) boy and girl
- Expedited awards ceremony this year
- “Thrill of the Hill” t-shirt for the first 1000 entrants Flat, fast, certified 5K course & recently re-certified 10K course
- Really cool Aptos Fleet Feet long sleeve shirts for top finishers in 10K and 5K and a new women’s shirt design
Aerobics warm-up and Santa Cruz DJ Company will light your fire with warm-up tunes sure to pump you up.
Run With Team Warriors
For the second consecutive year, the Santa Cruz Warriors have formed “TEAM WARRIORS” to participate in this year’s run, register below to be a part of the fun! TEAM WARRIORS entry includes:
- General entry elements: 2017 Firecracker t-Shirt, Pancake Breakfast, Race Prizes
- Additional TEAM WARRIORS logoed shirt to wear on race day
- One (1) Sideline Bleacher ticket to Santa Cruz Warriors “Firecracker Night” during 2017-18 season
- Drawings for autographed Golden State Warriors memorabilia (basketball, photos, etc.)
- Opportunity to purchase additional tickets at a savings to “Firecracker Night” for family and friends
- Team Store coupon for Santa Cruz Warriors merchandise.
Light your fire within and register online today!
About Santa Cruz Sunrise Rotary Club
The Santa Cruz Sunrise Rotary Club is a club of over 100 high-energy community and business leaders and volunteers drawn together by the common desire to give back to their community and beyond. The proceeds from the Firecracker races, one of the club’s largest annual benefit events, are applied to local community, national and international charity projects. Rotary International is the world’s first service club organization. More than 1.2 million members volunteer their time and talent to further the Rotary motto, “Service Above Self.”