2022/2023 Winter Resort Roundup
What lies ahead for skiers and snowboarders in 2022-23? Only La Niña knows for sure, says Mike Reitzell of Ski California, the non-profit trade association that represents 35 ski resorts in California and Nevada. La Niña has influenced California and Nevada temperatures and precipitation for the last two winter seasons. At least one forecast finds a fifty-fifty chance that the effect will continue through this coming winter, marking the first “triple dip” La Niña of the century. What La Niña will do remains an open question. “It will snow a lot or not,” says Reitzell. “It has gone multiple ways, though mostly leaning light. But we’ve also had one of our big snow years during La Niña,” he admits.
Southern California resorts like Big Bear Mountain are used to dealing with light years and know how to make snow. Larger Northern California resorts are more likely to be left scrambling. “It is always good to have a nice holiday period, but by March, we will know whether we’ll be skiing through the summer,” says Reitzell.
What probably won’t suffer is attendance. In 2021-2022, California and Nevada resorts again saw near-record levels, with 6,896,802 visitors, according to Ski California. Hardcore winter enthusiasts simply won’t be deterred by conditions or inflation, says Reitzell. They’ll keep numbers solid, despite rising prices. But folks who aren’t regulars may be more likely to stay away. They will need to look out for special promotions that season pass holders don’t need.
Reitzell admits our ongoing drought could put everyone in a more “seize the day” mindset, meaning they’ll drop everything to head to the mountains when it does storm. And, he adds, inflation and the end of COVID may combine to encourage more carpooling, with visitors sharing company and gas costs on their way to the mountains.
Visitors will likely find their favorite resort — big or small — improved. Many have invested heavily in new infrastructure, including new runs and new equipment. They have also responded to COVID times with new touchless technologies like QR codes for payment and RFID (radio-frequency identification) technology that recognizes you and lets you enter lifts. Reitzell says most resorts still face staffing shortages and the resulting higher wages, but, especially at the mom-and-pop resorts, these technologies are helping everyone be more efficient and effective.
Reitzell is hopeful to see a revival of events that were put off during COVID. He’s excited about Ski California’s annual Safety Day on January 28, 2023, which unites California and Nevada resorts in offering events and promotions around safety.
Read on to see what other events and improvements you can expect to see at resorts this winter. And please remember — the events, procedures, and protocols at resorts are all subject to change. So just like a surfer checks the surf report before heading to the beach, skiers and boarders need to check the resort they are heading to before they go. It will be up to each of us to do our part to keep each other safe and help keep the resorts open for a long season.
Badger Pass Ski Area
- BEST VIEW: The top of Eagle lift
- SLOGAN: It’s all right here
- WHAT’S NEW: After two years of COVID, we anticipate being open all season long
- DON’T MISS: The opportunity to ski in Yosemite National Park
- FEATURED DEAL: Check for current deals, great prices compared to other ski hills
Bear Valley Mountain
- BEST VIEW: Top of More Express lift
- SLOGAN: Big snow. Little lines.
- WHAT’S NEW: RFID tickets & passes, buy online
- DON’T MISS: Live music on Saturday afternoons
- FEATURED DEAL: Mid-week season pass
Big Bear Mountain Resort
- BEST VIEW: Top of Geronimo, Chair 8
- SLOGAN: Winter lives here
- WHAT’S NEW: Base area renovations
- DON’T MISS: Bear Bowl (Feb 11), football themed on-snow skills competition
- FEATURED DEAL: Fall pass sale (Nov 3 – Dec 9), save up to $80.
Boreal Mountain Resort
- BEST VIEW: Summit sunset from Accelerator chairlift
- SLOGAN: The mountain is calling you home
- WHAT’S NEW: Contactless access
- DON’T MISS: Subaru Winterfest and the Boreal Banked Slalom (April 8)
- FEATURED DEAL: “Go Time Tickets” are cheaper as the day goes on.
- BEST VIEW: Views of Huntington Lake from the top of chairs 1, 2 & 5
- SLOGAN: Own winter
- WHAT’S NEW: An updated snowmaking machine, one of the largest in the state
- DON’T MISS: Check out the $50,000 terrain park update and weekend events
- FEATURED DEAL: 4-day lift ticket pack, good any day of season, 40% off
- BEST VIEW: Crystal Ridge and Snowflake Lodge offer epic lake views
- SLOGAN: Lake Tahoe’s hidden gem
- WHAT’S NEW: Contactless lift and pass pickup access, plus a new surface lift at the Child Ski & Ride Center
- DON’T MISS: The Luggi Foeger Uphill/Downhill Festival (March 25 – 26)
- FEATURED DEAL: Interchangeable Parent Pass
Dodge Ridge Ski Resort
- BEST VIEW: A spectacular view of Sonora Pass and Three Chimneys from The Shots
- SLOGAN: The closest snow to home
- WHAT’S NEW: The new Triple Nugget lift, plus expanded tubing and terrain parks
- DON’T MISS: Santa Sunday (Dec 18) & New Year’s Eve Party (Dec 31)
- FEATURED DEAL: Lift Ticket 4 Pack, is flexible & offers 25% off, sale ends Dec 24
Donner Ski Ranch
- BEST VIEW: Sweeping views of Donner Lake at the top of Chair 1
- SLOGAN: The happiest place in Tahoe
- WHAT’S NEW: New rental gear, revamped menu and a new lane on the tubing hill
- DON’T MISS: Old School Days – prices from the past!
- FEATURED DEAL: $59 all day unlimited Adult lift ticket on Old School Days
- BEST VIEW: California Trail on your way down to Tamarack Lodge
- SLOGAN: Lake Tahoe’s premier playground
- WHAT’S NEW: The North Bowl lift has been upgraded to a high-speed quad. Plus new event: Sam Adams Air and Après on March 4
- DON’T MISS: Gunbarrel (March 11), Pond Skim (April1), & Spring Fling Rail Jam (TBA)
- FEATURED DEAL: EpicPass products
- BEST VIEW: Head to Big Blue View Bar for an incredible view of Lake Tahoe
- SLOGAN: Where the mountains meet the lake
- WHAT’S NEW: Some forest thinning that will open up new tree skiing this season
- DON’T MISS: Access over 750 acres of backcountry terrain via snowcat
- FEATURED DEAL: Lift ticket 3 pack
- BEST VIEW: The view from the Chalet is an absolute stunner
- SLOGAN: California’s family mountain
- WHAT’S NEW: New Adventure Zones
- DON’T MISS: Bring the kids to Bucky’s Bonfire on Saturdays at 2PM, and the adults can chill & enjoy the view
- FEATURED DEAL: Kids under 12 ski/ride for free
- BEST VIEW: From the top of Chair 4 for breathtaking views of the High Sierra
- SLOGAN: Kirkwood deep, Kirkwood kind
- WHAT’S NEW: Kirkwood is excited to be celebrating 50 years this season and the return of events
- DON’T MISS: Spring events — Banked Slalom (March 18), Pond Skim (April 15), and Rail Jam (April 22)
- FEATURED DEAL: EpicPass products
- BEST VIEW: From the top, neighboring mountains look close enough to touch
- SLOGAN: Find us in the fun
- WHAT’S NEW: New restaurants and expanded sledding at Woolly’s Tube Park
- DON’T MISS: Après party every weekend at Canyon Lodge — it goes off!
- FEATURED DEAL: QuadPack+ offers up to 45% on four tickets.
- BEST VIEW: Blue View off Upper Ramsey’s, overlooking Lake Tahoe.
- SLOGAN: Above the ordinary
- WHAT’S NEW: Lakeview Express chairlift, a new highspeed lift with new runs and great views
- DON’T MISS: Santa Ski Day (Dec 10), McKinney Cup (Feb 11), Tahoe Freeride (March 11 – 12)
- FEATURED DEAL: Intro packages
Mt. Shasta Ski Park
- BEST VIEW: From the Lodge, right at the Base looking at Mt Shasta
- SLOGAN: Our best season yet
- WHAT’S NEW: The new Gray Butte lift with access to over 211 acres of new terrain
- DON’T MISS: Backcountry tours, open terrain, and overnight stays.
- FEATURED DEAL: Black Friday season pass discounts and ticket bundles.
See main image
- BEST VIEW: Head to East Ridge on the backside for views of Lake Tahoe
- SLOGAN: Your mountain home away from home
- WHAT’S NEW: Comstock Express has been upgraded to a high-speed 6-person chair
- DON’T MISS: 50 year anniversary — TOST tradition returns, Lake Tahoe’s only ski-up, mountain view bubbly experience
- FEATURED DEAL: Epic Pass Products
- BEST VIEW: Top of Lakeview (Alpine Meadows)
- SLOGAN:Land of legends
- WHAT’S NEW: The new Palisades Tahoe Base to Base Gondola
- DON’T MISS: Palisades Tahoe will host the World Cup, Men’s Slalom and Giant Slalom (February 24-26)
- FEATURED DEAL:Slopeside Lodging discounts for ‘22-’23 Ikon Pass holders
- BEST VIEW: At the top of 360 Smokehouse BBQ
- SLOGAN:Where play reigns free
- WHAT’S NEW: The largest inbound terrain expansion in 75 years, including new terrain, uncovered lines, and wider bowls
- DON’T MISS: Subaru WinterFest Music Event (April 1 – 2)
- FEATURED DEAL:The Unlimited Pass lets you ski any day with no blackout dates
- BEST VIEW: The top of Snow Valley Express offers views of Big Bear Lake and on a really clear day a sliver of the ocean.
- SLOGAN:So Cal’s #1 beginner friendly resort
- WHAT’S NEW: Night skiing & snowboarding on select weekends and holiday periods
- DON’T MISS: Southern California’s only six-passenger lift
- FEATURED DEAL:4 Pack of Anytime Lift Tickets, fully transferable
SUGAR BOWL RESORT
- BEST VIEW: Lake View run has great views overlooking beautiful Donner Lake
- SLOGAN:Tahoe’s deepest
- WHAT’S NEW: Free live music at both lodges Saturdays and Sundays, 1-4pm
- DON’T MISS: Family-friendly Poker Run, ski poker and scavenger hunt ( Jan 21)
- FEATURED DEAL:Buy early to score discounted lift tickets as low as 40% off.
CROSS COUNTRY RESORTS
BEAR VALLEY ADVENTURE CO.
- ICONIC TRAIL: Don’t miss Headwaters Trail while skiing of the largest XC trail systems in the US
- SLOGAN: Community owned since 2018
- WHAT’S NEW: New Meadow Cafe menu with indoor & outdoor seating
- DON’T MISS: 50th Annual Bjornloppet XC Ski Race Weekend (March 11-12)
- FEATURED DEAL:$99 Adult Learn to Ski Package (rental, trail pass, & lesson)
KIRKWOOD CROSS COUNTRY
- ICONIC TRAIL: Caples Creek & Beaver Pond are scenic and explorative
- SLOGAN:A perfect adventure for everyone
- WHAT’S NEW: Reopening of the Caples Creek network, north of Highway 88 (it was closed due to Caldor Fire damage)
- DON’T MISS: The sweeping views from High Trail are spectacular
- FEATURED DEAL:Introductory lessons
NORTHSTAR CROSS COUNTRY
- ICONIC TRAIL: Tahoe Trail (6.5km one way) has a beautiful overlook of Lake Tahoe
- SLOGAN: Try something new together
- WHAT’S NEW: Brand new XC and snowshoe rental and demo equipment
- DON’T MISS: Early morning fat tire or e-biking; guided snowshoe tours
- FEATURED DEAL:QuadPack+ offers up to 45% on four tickets.
- ICONIC TRAIL: Vista Point Trail
- SLOGAN:Let’s go XC skiing
- WHAT’S NEW:New rental equipment and a remodeled building at Rim Nordic
- DON’T MISS: The only XC skiing area in southern California with over 13 miles of trails
- FEATURED DEAL:Learn-to-ski packages are $60
ROYAL GORGE CROSS COUNTRY
- ICONIC TRAIL: The Point Mariah trail offers expansive views of the Granite Chief Wilderness and the Pacific Crest Trail
- SLOGAN: North America’s largest XC resort
- WHAT’S NEW: Perhaps not what’s new, but what’s old — celebrating 50 years
- DON’T MISS: Home cooking and huge cookies at Summit Station
- FEATURED DEAL:Buy tickets online in advanceto get the best prices and availability
- ICONIC TRAIL:Lake View
- SLOGAN:Connect with friends. Connect with nature.
- WHAT’S NEW: Fun and educational year-round programs for kids and adults
- DON’T MISS: Ski and waxing clinics, and the Old Skool Klassic Race
- FEATURED DEAL:Tuesday passes $29 and 10-packs $325
- ICONIC TRAIL: I’m OK, Euer OK
- SLOGAN:The skiing is out there
- WHAT’S NEW: A new dedicated snow-making system. The additional snow will help maintain a more contiguous trail system all season long and allow for earlier availability of cross country ski lessons and programs.
- DON’T MISS: Private and group lessons
- FEATURED DEAL:XC season passes
TAMARACK CROSS COUNTRY
- ICONIC TRAIL: The Lake Mary Loop offers beautiful skiing and gorgeous views.
- SLOGAN: Set out for adventure
- WHAT’S NEW: New shuttle hours make access from town easier than ever before
- DON’T MISS: Sunset Snowshoe tours let you take in the grandeur of the area
- FEATURED DEAL:Lesson packages help you save money and level up your skiing